How to Determine the Energy Efficiency of Your Heater

Heat and air Shawnee ok

Nothing can beat the comfort of enjoying a winter party inside your home where the temperature is conditioned perfectly. But heating up your home and making it comfortable in the frigid weather can be expensive. If you can’t play smart, you may end up paying a huge amount for your energy bill.

For the unpredictable weather in Shawnee, OK, people generally get a heat and air conditioner installed in their home. Many of them forget to check whether the heater is energy efficient or not. As a consequence, they end up paying a hefty electricity bill.

There are ways to check whether a heat and air conditioner in Shawnee, OK, is power efficient or not. Here are the three crucial measurements.

Heat and air Shawnee ok

AFUE Rating

AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency and this is the best way to check whether your heater is energy efficient or not. It measures how your heater efficiently converts fuel into energy. The higher the AFUE percentage is, the more efficient your heater is. If the AFUE is 98%, it indicates 98% of the fuel can be converted to energy by your heater. Here, the remaining 2% of the fuel’s energy is lost. Older heaters AFUE rating can be as low as 56% where 44% of energy is wasted. This rating can be found in the user manual or on a sticker placed inside the cabinet of the furnace. An 80% AFUE rating has been identified as sufficient for a normal temperature climate.

If you can’t figure out the AFUE rating, ask a professional heat and air service provider in Shawnee, OK for assistance.

Heat and air Shawnee ok

Age of Heater

It is a wise decision to purchase the heater knowing the AFUE percentage, but this is not where the story ends. You can’t have the same performance from a heater throughout its entire life span. The general life expectancy of a heater is 15–20 years. Despite buying a superb AFUE rating heater, that rating decreases by 5% every year. Maintenance can give the desired service, but it cannot expand the longevity of the heater. Therefore, replacement after a certain period of time is imperative.

Heat and air Shawnee ok

Energy Bill’s Comparison

Fluctuation in energy bills is natural depending on the season change, rise in energy costs or living situation. You can compare your energy bill from each month and that will help you to understand whether your heater is losing efficiency or not.

If you are still in a fix to understand the reason for your energy bill rising, we are here for you to give you a clear idea, inspect and do the necessary things depending on the condition of the heater. You can call us at Comfort Control Specialists for any type of help pertaining to a heat and air system in Shawnee, OK.